Upper Bow Street residents oppose revised cell tower site, but plans remain

Upper Bow Street residents have objected to plans for a telecommunications tower near the Raglan water tower, but the revised site remains the preferred option.

Residents told Wednesday’s community board meeting they had not been properly consulted about the location.

The site was chosen after concerns were raised about an earlier proposal for Long Street, where the tower would have cut across previous work to remove overhead infrastructure.

Raglan Community Board chair Ross Wallis said the revised plan would replace the two existing telecommunications towers with one larger pole carrying equipment for both companies, rather than adding a third tower.

The structure would be taller, but shifted closer to the water tower and nearby vegetation to reduce its visual impact.

“They haven’t had the engagement that they had hoped for,” Ross told Raglan Community Radio after residents spoke at Wednesday’s board meeting.

He said he would ask infrastructure company Conexa, who are installing the tower, to contact them directly.

Conexa considered several locations, but the tower needs sufficient height and must address mobile coverage gaps in Raglan East.

“Our opinion was that that was the least disruptive place that could go,” Ross said.

He said Conexa was legally able to install telecommunications infrastructure within the road reserve, but had chosen to work with the community board on an alternative location.

WSL impact still being assessed

Responding to concerns raised during the community board’s open forum, Ross said no decision had been made on whether the World Surf League event would return to Raglan.

He said the first event needed to be reviewed before any future commitment was considered.

The community board is seeking an assessment of the event’s economic and cultural effects on Raglan after it was held at Manu Bay in May.

Ross said the impact on businesses varied widely. Some benefited, while others lost trade as locals avoided town and spectators spent much of the day at Manu Bay.

Waikato District Council’s economic development team has committed to finding funding for Marketview’s electronic payment data specific to Raglan – which Go Raglan will be commissioning –  rather than using the board’s discretionary fund.

Earlier consultation sought if WSL returns

“If this was to happen again, we want to have a say in the build-up to it,” Ross said.

He said the event was well run, particularly the buses and traffic management, but communication around resident passes could have been clearer. Some pass holders parked near Manu Bay even though the passes were intended to allow affected community members through the road closure, not provide event parking.

The board also wants a clearer picture of the event’s cost to council.

That calculation is complicated by the way different fees are allocated. Consent charges contribute towards staff processing time, while reserve fees are returned to reserve budgets and cannot offset wider council costs.

Ross said this made it difficult to determine whether the event was cost-neutral or to weigh its direct costs against the wider economic, community and cultural benefits.

He praised Poihākena Marae’s leadership and hospitality, saying visiting athletes had felt welcomed in Whāingaroa.

Ross rejected the suggestion that the community board had made the decision to allow the event to proceed.

He said the board became involved after it was already apparent the event was going ahead and instead focused on reducing its impacts and improving its delivery.

“We didn’t really like the process. It would have been nice to have more time,” Ross said.

Ross said the assessment should be followed by a public community debrief before any future event was considered.

He is also considering writing to Louise Upston, the minister responsible, to seek earlier community involvement if the event returns.

Local voice central to council merger

Ross said people in smaller communities would still need a meaningful say over decisions affecting their area under any larger council structure.

Waikato District, Waipā and South Waikato have supported the Western Waikato proposal, while Hamilton and Taupō have left the outcome to the Government’s backstop process.

He praised Waikato District Mayor Aksel Bech for engaging early with neighbouring councils and said the government could ultimately direct the two councils to join the western model.

Ross said any new regional authority would still need community councils or boards representing individual towns and districts.

Staff changes disrupt board work

Ross said turnover and restructuring within Waikato District Council had made it harder for the board to maintain continuity.

Its democracy support officer had resigned and its senior leadership contact had taken redundancy, with temporary staff filling the roles.

“You feel like you’re taking a step forward and two steps back,” he said.

Ross linked the disruption to both council restructuring and uncertainty around local government reform.

Manu Bay ramp closure planned

The Manu Bay boat ramp is expected to close for about 10 days in September for resurfacing.

Cracks were repaired before the WSL event, but the ramp now requires more extensive work and time to cure before reopening.

Te Uku subdivision discussed

The board also discussed a proposed lifestyle subdivision near Te Uku School, which could eventually include about 34 sections.

Board member Chris Rayner raised concerns that septic systems could affect waterways feeding the upper harbour.

Ross said each property would still need to meet engineering and resource consent requirements.

“We’re kind of getting outside our lane there,” he said, acknowledging the limits of the community board’s role in the consenting process.

 

Listen Live
News
Podcasts
Events